Saturday, January 30, 2010

Quick crafting: Dog shirt

Do you find a hard time finding dog shirts that fit the style of you and your pup? I do. I get so sick of all the cheesy sayings and frilly designs. I want shirts for my dog that match my style. I see cute designs all the time in the baby section but baby shirts always left too much fabric around my pup's stomach. Until now.

Here's what you need to know to turn a baby t-shirt to an awesome t-shirt for your pup.

Supplies:
Baby t-shirt (I used size 6-9 months but use your discretion based on your pup's size)
Scissors
Sewing machine or needle and thread

1. Try the shirt on your dog to eyeball how much you will need to alter it.

2. Remove the shirt and cut vertically down the back center. Remember the image on the front of a baby shirt is the image that will be on the back of your dog.

3. Turn inside out and match the two cut ends together. You may want to pin your ends in to place.
4. Sew vertically down the shirt. Use your estimate from earlier to determine where to sew. Be sure not to make the shirt too small. It's better to leave too much room at first and have to go back and do this step again than to sew it too tight.

5. Cut any excess fabric but be sure to leave 1/2 inch to an inch in case of fraying.
6. Turn right side out and dress your dog! How snazzy right?



Let me know if you try this out. I'd love to see pictures of your adorable pups in their awesome new shirts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sooooo cute....what a great idea!!