Friday, May 29, 2009

Lightning Bug or Firefly?

Either way I saw my first one of the year tonight when I was out walking Frank-monster (aka Frankie). I absolutely love lightning bugs! They are one of my favorite parts of summer. I hardly ever saw them growing up in FL. So moving up to Georgia and getting to see them every summer has been great. Seeing those little guys for the first time each summer is like seeing them for the very first time all over again.

Now for some fun facts: According to answer.com the term lightning bug is used in almost every part of the US aside from the Pacific coast and far North where the British term firefly is used. I don't know about the accuracy of that statement though as I've heard a little bit of both, but maybe that's just because Florida is such a melting pot for people from all over the US.

The lightning bug's glow can be yellow, green or pale red but I've never seen the red glow, have you? And if that doesn't turn you on, that just means you're a different species. Lightning bugs use their glow to attract the opposite sex for mating.

Now I looked all over etsy and the Internet for some cutie lightning bug images but was disappointed with the results. I did manage to find this little blast from the past. Anybody remember a lightning bug named Louie?

No comments: