Sunday, May 24, 2009

If you're still on the market...

...you should totally check out this website when you are thinking about taking yourself off the market.

Disclaimer: This is not a dig for people that went the diamond engagement ring route, it's just celebrating the alternatives!

So as many of you know, I am not a traditional engagement ring kind of girl. Not that there is anything wrong with them, after all diamonds are a girl's best friend. But when it came right down to it after years of thinking that I wanted a traditional diamond solitaire for my engagement ring I found that they just came up a bit flat (for me). I tried on several different styles of diamond rings while I was supposed to be helping a friend pick out her engagement ring, but continually found myself drawn to the sapphire case.

Luckily Beau embraced my need for a bit of individuality and chose accordingly when he made his mind up to pop the question. He actually sent the ring back 3 times after trying diamonds in the setting that he knew I loved but decided that it fell short and thankfully went with the sapphire!!! (sorry the pics of my ring aren't better but my camera battery is charging so I had to go with something saved in the computer instead of taking a better picture...plus I sliced my finger while cutting firewood when we were camping this weekend so my hand is a little too mangled for a close-up right now)




I have gotten hundreds of compliments on my ring as a result and I'm so happy that Beau didn't go the "what an engagement ring should look like" route, it just wouldn't have been me, it wouldn't have been us!

So anyway, the point of this rambling post is when you do decide to allow yourself to be taken off the market don't be a afraid to think outside the box. Find a ring that is as unique as you and your future spouse are as a couple. Let it set the tone for your life together. Go to an antique store with your future hubby and find an heirloom piece that can become a wonderful story to share with your kids, check out different stones in a traditional setting, or find a cool shop like Turtle Love Committee. This shop has beautiful, non-traditional rings that are gorgeous and affordable.

***Thanks to the shout out from the Turtle Love Committee in their blog! Also check it out to read more on diamond engagement ring alternatives.

No comments: