Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Gourds pt. 2 (Tutorial included)



I have to say that these turned out a lot cuter than I expected. They were so fun to paint and decorate. I think I'm going to try to make some for our families, they are just so hilarious. I think I'll have us dress up in matching outfits for our next photo shoot with these guys.

(Sorry about the weird green spot near my eye...the red eye reduction thing got a little finicky).

If this is a project that you want to take on simply follow these instructions.

Supplies needed:
Dried gourd
Gesso
acrylic paint
paint brushes
permanent marker or black paint pen
Spray gloss

1.Start out by drawing a simple outline and sketching out what you would like your gourd to look like.

2.Coat the entire gourd in gesso and let dry. This is not necessary but if you start out with a light colored base coat they are much easier to paint.

3.Paint your gourds (they don't take too long to dry so you can do this fairly quickly).

4.Outline and add detail with a paint pen or permanent marker (I didn't like the way the gourds were looking until I got to this step, the personality really came out here. Imagine if I could actually draw!)

5.Spray the gourds with the acrylic gloss to finish.

6.Finally take a funny picture with your gourd and the person it resembles and send it to me. I'd love to see it!

Have fun!

No comments: