Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lots of fun and a love of tea

So it's been a whirlwind couple of months. I love, love, love my job and it's a good thing I do because it's kept me awfully busy for the last several months. I work for the largest sports endurance training program in the country and on top of that we raise money for cancer! Since this time last year I've coordinated 6 teams that have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in the fight against blood cancers.

It has been a ton of fun but also a ton of work. This past Sunday wrapped up the fall season with our Augusta 70.3 tri team. We had a very successful weekend with only one gal from the ATL team not able to finish because of bike trouble. I have no doubt she would have rocked the course just like everyone else if she hadn't encountered 3 flats in the first half of the bike course. The GA, SC and VA chapters all worked together to produce an amazing event weekend complete with one of the best local pasta parties I've been to. We raised a combined $215,000 and counting!!!

I've been so inspired by the work I've seen done lately that I am going to venture way, way out of my comfort zone and complete a triathlon next summer. This means swimming, biking and running. The swimming and the running don't scare me too much but I'm super nervous about the biking as I've not been on a bike in about 5 years.

If anything will get me back on a bike though it's the fight to cure cancer so look for me (helmet and all) in a bike lane near you starting next January.

That brings me to my love of tea. I've really enjoyed the challenge of the spring, summer and fall teams I've worked with this past year and outside of being a little sleepy now and then I've not had to deal with any illness. Thank goodness! I owe this all to tea.

When I was younger I loved tea but hadn't really been drinking much tea in recent years. Beau and I have been working towards being healthier since our wedding. We've both quit drinking, we're trying to be more outdoorsy, eat better, etc.

If you pick up any article about cancer-fighting foods you'll find tea. It's full of anti-oxidants and is just plain delicious. Some of my favorite flavors are orange spice, red roobios, and just plain green tea. On top of helping you to stay cancer free it can also

I used to be big on taking echinecea when I thought I was getting ill but lately I've been turning to a special brew from my friends at Teavana. I don't know exactly what you call it but I call it a miracle. Any time Beau or I even feel like we might be getting sick I brew a pot and poof we feel good. Which has led our household to refer to it simply as "Feel Good tea". This special blend of silver needle, roobios tropica, jasmine dragon pearls and moroccan mint is light, sweet and delicious. Not the least bit over-powering like some mint teas can be. If you ever feel yourself getting a little icky, go straight to Teavana and ask them for "feel good" tea. I'm sure they'll know what you mean. It's a bit pricey but worth the cost as it's kept us from colds, flu, etc. for at least a year now.

So now that I've told you about the fun I've had and the way I'm keeping healthy to have all that fun, I'm going to tell you about the fun that is left to come this year.

October 10: Light The Night Atlanta- It's not too late to join a team to raise money in the fight against blood cancer. Or if you don't feel like walking just donate to http://pages.lightthenight.org/ga/Atlanta09/jollysing

October 18: Beau and I celebrate one year of marital bliss!

November 22: St. Pete Half Marathon (I've been slacking on training so I've got to get in gear and get that mileage in)

I hope all is well with all of you!

No comments: